Monday, March 23, 2015

We'd Like To Go Geocaching


We heard about Geocaching at church a few weeks back... and I became interested in it. I know my family would love to get involved, as we are outdoorsy kind of people.

What is Geocaching, you ask?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. [source]

You use a free app on your phone, to see where boxes, called cache's, are hidden near your area (or anywhere in the world lol). You then go out and look for those cache's (which could range in size) using the map coordinates. When you find the cache, congrats! Open the box, sign the ledger as proof, then take a trinket as a souvineer. But you must put a trinket in it's place.... for the next person who finds the cache. I believe it can be anything small enough to fit in a box. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant. It's just fun to get something for your hard work.


We plan to take the kids Geocaching during spring break. And I'd like to be prepared beforehand. I was thinking of getting a backpack which would only be for Geocaching stuff. A note book just seems necessary. A pen, of course. I was thinking of running to the craft store and just getting a generic stamp (to sign the ledger with).... but then I thought about spending some money and getting a custom stamp. Not sure what I am gonna do (only have a week though, so I need to decide soon). And then I need to pick up some trinket things. We have a few hot wheels cars the kids agreed to let go of. I was thinking of checking out the Dollar Store and the craft store, to see if they have some cute stuff.

I think that's all we'd need. But.... we've never done it before, so I'm gonna look to Google and to friends, and see what I can find.


Have you done Geocaching before? Tips or tricks you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment